It is like a cooking.
Written by Ako Lamble
To me painting with watercolour is like a cooking.
Mixing water and pigments, placing the mixed colour liquid on paper (wet paper / dry paper), waiting for drying, and placing another mixed colour liquid on it ….
The procedure can be taught to the point according to the recipe, but this is something you need to do it repeatedly until you really get how it works. No short cuts.
That’s why my beginners class is focusing on “Little and Often” “Repetition”. I will help you setting up the system so you can draw/paint daily for just 15min. It’s much more beneficial to do it for 15 min daily than for 2hours weekly.
Improving drawing skills is very important in my class. Drawing enhances the way we see the world around us, conditions us to capture the details. Furthermore, drawing can improve our memory.
You will spend first 4-5classes on drawing (Shape, Tone, Edge) then move on to the watercolour painting.
I also introduce “Line & Wash” in the class. It helped me to get rid of feeling intimidated towards watercolour painting when I started.
Once you put the line and splash the colours on, it looks great! It motivates you to keep going until you get used to handling the water and pigments.
I will teach;
- Child (8yo and over)
A few examples of what you will learn in my lessons
- Drawing with a 2B pencil to learn to see shape, value and edge.
- Drawing the simple subject perspective correctly. One point perspective, two point perspective.
- Learn about your art materials: Watercolour tubes, watercolour papers, watercolour brushes, palettes, a pen & ink, water-soluble graphite, sketchbooks …
- Setting up your mobile art kit.
- Continuous line drawing and wash.
- Drawing an egg with line and wash, one colour: learn 4 kinds of edge (hard, firm, soft, lost).
- 15 min daily drawing & painting habit.
- Watercolour technique: Wet in wet, negative painting, wash, glazing, dry brush, lifting, masking, erasing, scratching, salt, tissue, splatter, brooms and more..
- Draw with 2B pencil and paint with watercolour a simple object like an apple: How to see the shape, edges, light & shadow and colours.
- Introduction of colour mixing.
This is something I need to show and explain a lot about in the first class. You might need to invest some money to set up your art kit. I have spent time and money to test all sorts of materials so that I can give you some advise before you make a decision.
Bring to the class whatever you’ve already got, don’t buy anything until we discuss about it.
You don’t need all of them at once, but these are the ones I would like to introduce to you over the term.
- Artist quality watercolour tubes
- Watercolour brushes: Round, Flat and Dagger
- Palette: travel size
- Watercolour paper: Arches smooth & Medium
- Fountain pen & ink / Water proof pen / Water soluble pen
- Water soluble graphite / carbon
- Watercolour pencils
Day and Time
- Please contact Ako to arrange the day
- In our studio: $85 per hour per student
- At YOUR home: $90 per hour per student